What you need to know...
You don’t need fancy gadgets or lots of kit to get started with baby weaning, here are the essentials you’ll need:
- Highchair – the range of highchairs on the market is vast. Look for one with a detachable and wide tray to make it easier for cleaning up. Ikea’s Antilop highchair is great value.
- Soft tipped spoons (x 6) – look for soft tipped spoons to start with.
- Blender (if you intend to start with purees) – you don’t need a special baby blender to make purees, a normal blender or stick blender will do the job just as well.
- Small food containers / pods suitable for freezing – look for BPA containers, stainless steel or glass tubs (Ikea is a great start) to store batch prepared portions of food for a later date.
- 2/3 washable bibs (long and short sleeved) – look for bibs with a soft edging to avoid aggregating your baby’s neck.
- Sticky tray and bowl – a tray with different sections and a bowl that sticks to a table or highchair is an ideal way to contain mess, separate out foods, avoid accidental slips and for use on the go.
- Washable flannels (I love Cheeky Wipes) – it is often much easier to clean a messy babe with one washable flannel rather than lots of wetwipes.