So you’ve mastered the milk feeds and now comes the food. But how do you know when is the right time with all the conflicting information out there?!
What you need to know...
You don’t need fancy gadgets or lots of kit to get started with baby weaning, here are the essentials you’ll need:
- Highchair – the range of highchairs on the market is vast. Look for one with a detachable and wide tray to make it easier for cleaning up. Ikea’s Antilop highchair is great value.
- Soft tipped spoons (x 6) – look for soft tipped spoons to start with.
- Blender (if you intend to start with purees) – you don’t need a special baby blender to make purees, a normal blender or stick blender will do the job just as well.
- Small food containers / pods suitable for freezing – look for BPA containers, stainless steel or glass tubs (Ikea is a great start) to store batch prepared portions of food for a later date.
- 2/3 washable bibs (long and short sleeved) – look for bibs with a soft edging to avoid aggregating your baby’s neck.
- Sticky tray and bowl – a tray with different sections and a bowl that sticks to a table or highchair is an ideal way to contain mess, separate out foods, avoid accidental slips and for use on the go.
- Washable flannels (I love Cheeky Wipes) – it is often much easier to clean a messy babe with one washable flannel rather than lots of wetwipes.